A Surrey is its own name! A Surrey Bike with a fringe on top may be new to our area, but certainly is not new at all. In fact, a Surrey bike is part of history that has been around since 1850. (It was famously celebrated in the song “The Surrey with the Fringe on Top” from the musical Oklahoma! from Judy Garland and Bing Crosby).
Definition of Surrey: (Carriage, Chariot, Carrier, Wagon, and Buggy) A Surrey is a four-wheeled quadricycle, two, four or six-seated pleasure carriage with an open bench seat and is powered by humans rather than a motor (or horse). Other bikes that are similar are Sociable, Buddy Bike, Side by Side but don’t confuse this type of bicycle with a tandem, where the riders sit in front and behind each other.
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU RIDE A SURREY BIKE?
- Combine health, happiness, harmony, serenity with fun and fitness for all ages, from toddlers to elderly to special needs.
- Catch people’s attention and create conversation! Turn heads, get thumbs up and receive a lot of smiles and enjoy lots of laughs.
- Unique up on your neighbours and have the first Surrey bike on your block.
- Enjoy an environmentally friendly way to explore your beautiful Parks, pathways, campgrounds, resorts, time share or just pedaling around your community as a mode of transportation and entertainment.
- Participate in an exercise program or leisurely pedal around your community for recreational or business advertisement.
- Great for attracting tourism to your community. parades, festivals, corporate team building, fundraising, charitable organizations, family gatherings and weddings.